Postdoc position in machine learning for dynamical systems at UT Austin
The dynamical systems group at UT Austin seeks applications for a postdoctoral researcher to work alongside Professor William Gilpin and our team. Our curiosity-driven research group is broadly interested in computational approaches to understanding natural systems. We are very excited to hear from researchers with diverse scientific experience; right now we are working on the following areas:
- Developing new statistical learning techniques grounded nonlinear dynamics and statistical physics
- Stabilizing and controlling nonlinear signals based on sparse time series measurements
- Analogue computation and learning in soft materials
You will have very broad latitude and independence to pursue your research interests, and you can optionally supervise students, teach, or participate in our group’s outreach efforts. We also have a lab space within the physics department, where we are always interested in creative tabletop experiments to test out our ideas.
We’re located in the Center for Nonlinear Dynamics within UT’s physics department (https://chaos.utexas.edu/). The group is also affiliated with the interdisciplinary Oden Institute for Computational Science and Engineering, and we enjoy interacting with our colleagues in other departments such as Integrative Biology and Dell Medical School. Our lab is located on the fourteenth floor of UT’s Physics-Math-Astronomy building.
A strong programming background would be preferred, as well as some familiarity and interest in designing and releasing replicable open-source code.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. This position is fully-funded for three years, subject to annual renewal. Reach out to William directly at email@example.com. Please include a CV or resume, and please mention which area of the lab’s research you are interested in (or if you want to explore a new area).
- At UT, postdocs have identical benefits to faculty: fully-covered medical, pension, and retirement match
- Relocation and visa support
- Competitive salary; we can also “top off” external funding to higher pay rates if needed
- Dedicated travel/research funds